Making Everyday an Adventure in Marriage, New Parenthood, and Living on a Caribbean Island
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On the Road Again...

Yep yep, Patrick and I are moving, AGAIN!!! 
We have always had the dream to live and work outside the country together, so at any given time in the last few years one of us was casually looking for such and opportunity.  I will admit that I had not been as aggressive in my search as of late, but a few months ago an opportunity fell into my lap that I just could not resist. 
We are moving to the DOMINCAN REPUBLIC!!!   (for at least 2 years)
I was offered a job through the organization called COPA (google it).  They work with improving education and health in a few small rural villages in the southern part of the island, with a foundation in Christian values, showing the love of God through actions.  My specific job is called the Education Adviser.  I will be making sure that the level of education in the two main schools and several partner schools is high and always improving.  I will be observing teachers in the classroom, providing feedback, and leading workshops to encourage effective and creative instructional practices.  I will also be contributing to the curriculum and assessments they already have in place, and work to show how those tools are being used toward a positive outcome in the classroom.  ALSO, I will be monitoring the growth of the individual students, writing reports on their progress, and communicating this with their sponsors and the COPA board.  I will have the opportunity for a few pet projects outside my duties, and I am playing around with a few ideas surrounding adult literacy in the community, athletics for female students, and increasing the amount of information available to the public about this organization and the communities in with it serves.

As if being offered my dream job weren't enough, the organization became interested in Patrick and his experience in finance and government as well.  Initially they were hoping to have him work for them on an as needed basis because they were in the process of hiring some one for the full time position of Project Director.  However, shortly after I was offered my position, that candidate withdrew her application, and they came running to my dear husband!  They offered him the job last week.  This position will be similar to that of a superintendent here.  He will oversee the schools and the health clinics, as well as break way for future projects including a school for the deaf.  He will be working closely with the local and national government to select quality teachers for the schools, obtain property and permits, and who knows what else.  He has always wanted to work in this area and would also deem this his dream job.  How blessed are we!?!

Oh and we get to bring our dogs!!! Ride mopeds everywhere, improve our Spanish and learn some creole from the Haitian refugees, meet new people, see new places, provide volunteer opportunities for our friends and families (let us know if you want in on any of this), and learn to surf at the near by beaches! And more!


We are both so thrilled about this adventure, and while we have concerns about the new lifestyle, challenges of the jobs, separation from friends and family, the heat, the bugs, the lack a grocery store within an hours drive, etc...we know that this is what we have been looking for for so long.  Those things are all details that we will work through together and we will come out stronger, closer, and hopefully a little tanner too!


Of course there will be more and more and more information as our trip gets closer and once we are already there...just keep checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment