Making Everyday an Adventure in Marriage, New Parenthood, and Living on a Caribbean Island
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 20, 2012

Miss Mary

How do you start off a post to talk about your child being born?

Though this experience of pregnancy and childbirth and our first almost week of parenthood, I would have to be deaf, blind, AND drunk to not know that we are beyond blessed.  I complained about some aspects of pregnancy but I didn't have to be bedridden, have a super restrictive diet, take medications to help my baby grow to full term, and I felt good enough to stay active and happy.  

Childbirth was also a fairly smooth ride (commence birth story)

EEEEEEAAAARLY in the morning on the 26th, I started feeling contractions that weren't really painful, but I knew they were there.  After a few hours of sleeping on and off, we started timing and they were exactly seven minutes apart for about an hour.  At that point they were so weak, and I thought thats how they would stay, that I thought I had this whole labor thing in the bag! We celebrated a belated family Christmas with my parents and my brother and his son and fiance, went sledding (I just watched...), and later that evening started timing again.  The contractions had gotten slightly stronger, but still no more than a "oh, hmm, that ALMOST hurt".  For a few hours they were coming five minutes apart, and PAtrick was urging me to go to the hospital, certain we were on the brink.  Something told me it wasn't quite time, and besides, I wanted to enjoy Christmas dinner at least!  Finally he persuaded me to call my doctor, who of course did not pick up or leave any information what so ever.  SO then he had me call the on call center at the hospital.   Of course the nurse had me come in, but even than I took my own sweet time, confident we would be sent home.  And we were.  I was barely even dilated and the nurse laughed at what we had been calling contractions.  

Almost as soon as we got in to car to go home though, I got my first real contraction.  Shiza. My. Bones.  Holy painfulness.  BUT the pain was offset by the knowledge that labor really was setting in, and that in the next day or two we would be holding our baby girl.

Contractions continued through the night and into the next day, and I was not ABOUT to go tot he hospital too early...again.  I breathed my way through contractions, took a nice relaxing bath while watching the up all night show, until finally Patrick said "ok, that's enough, we're going to the hospital" leaving no room for discussion.  I was so thankful to him for taking the lead, because I was being my stubborn, prideful self, not wanting to be seen as weak for being in pain and wanting to go to the hospital.  I wish I could tell myself it was the hormones making me act like that...
We got to the hospital and were admitted right away.  My contractions were off the chart, so even though I had planned on a natural birth, I decided to try demerol to control the pain for a little while.  It worked perfectly.  I could still feel my contractions, but the pain didn't spread to my back and legs and hips anymore.  It worked like that for about 3 hours, untilthe pain broke through.
Trying to smile through the demerol...

 I was only five centimeters dialated so I went for the epidural.  I have zero regrets about this choice.  It made the whole experience so enjoyable.  The epi only worked 100% on my right side so I was still able to feel when I was having a contraction.  I did stall out at 5 centimeters for about 12 hours though, so they had to rupture my membranes and give me pitocin.  I was bummed about that, but only 2 hours later I was pushing and only 45 minutes after that my baby girl was born!! She weighed 8Lbs 4oz and measured 21".  She is perfectly healthy and has been a fairly calm and happy baby.


 I had a pretty bad tear, but I was so enthralled with holding my love that I didn't notice being stitched up.  The staff were amazing and did everything from there on out  in our room at my request, and Patrick got to help with the first bath.
Mary's first bath was NOT her favorite part of the day.

We came home a little over 24 hours later and now, on her one week birthday, we are more in love than we could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment