Making Everyday an Adventure in Marriage, New Parenthood, and Living on a Caribbean Island
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 15, 2012

You are everything good in this world...

For Mary's bedtime, we have a very consistent routine. We do bath time, which she loves, followed by getting pj's on, then swaddled.  Then, as she is nursing, I tell her that she is everything good in this world, followed by a list of all the good things I hope she will be.  The list changes every night, usually based on the interactions I have had that day, or on my energy level.   The list includes but is not limited to...

patient
kind
passionate(this always makes me tear up, wondering what she will be passionate about...)
humble
generous
honest
unique
respectful
loving
purposeful
smart
funny
selfless
independent
resourceful
faithful
thoughtful
happy
optimistic
etc...

I love this part of the routine and I hope to continue it for a very long time.  I hope it will give her the confidence she needt to be all these things and more, and that if she ever doubts herself, she will know that I am always there to see the best in her.  It also reminds me that Patrick and I have to model these things for her, and I usually spend a good part of the evening reflecting on my actions throughout the day and thinking of how I can better incorporate these traits into my own person.

Then I sing her a couple of songs, say her prayer, and put her to bed.  But its that middle part I like the best.

1 comment: